By Christy Matte
While we all love the long Labor Day weekend, it is certainly bittersweet. Labor Day is often seen as the last hurrah of summer, time to put away flip flops and beach towels for morning meetings and homework. But what if you could extend that beloved beach vibe a little bit longer?
A trip to beautiful destinations like Mexico and Jamaica can put you right back into summer mode, and it doesn't need to be hard on your budget. Labor Day deals for travel and lodging are easily available if you take the time to look.
Why Mexico and Jamaica for Labor Day?
- -- Learn about the local culture and history - climb a Mayan pyramid, take in the music scene, trek through time in a museum, and sample the local cuisine.
- -- Water sports - enjoy favorites like snorkeling, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, and river tubing.
- -- Outdoor adventures - hike through a rainforest, swim in an underground cave, go horseback riding on the beach, zipline through the trees, or go off-roading with ATVs.
- -- Explore markets and art galleries in search of handmade goods and souvenirs.
- -- Learn something new - take classes in cooking, dancing, language, or local arts and crafts.
- -- Lounge on the beach with a good book and a fruity drink.
- -- There is truly something for everyone, from the littlest travelers to adventurous teens to ready-to-relax adults and seniors. You can do as much or as little as you'd like, so no one needs to feel bored or stressed.
Booking Your Travel
There is truly something for everyone, from the littlest travelers to adventurous teens to ready-to-relax adults and seniors. You can do as much or as little as you'd like, so no one needs to feel bored or stressed.
To get the best airfare savings, you're going to want to book as early as possible. Labor Day is one of the busiest travel times of the year.
According to Kayak.com, airfare dramatically increases for Labor Day weekend after the first week of August. But if you're ready to book, you can save 30-40% or more if you can leave earlier in the week (Tuesday or Wednesday) and either return during the long weekend or stay for a full week or so.
Not quite ready to commit? Push back your vacation to a later date in September. You'll find cheaper rates and shorter lines at the airport, but the water will still be warm and welcoming.
If you want to be pampered, an all-inclusive resort like Moon Palace Cancun, The Grand at Moon Palace Cancun, Moon Palace Jamaica or any of the Palace Resorts properties in Mexico will do the trick. From perfectly manicured grounds and pristine beaches to a wide range of food and entertainment options, you barely even need to plan.
Ready to Go?
So, what are you waiting for? There's no reason to cram into the SUV and sit in hours of traffic to get to your local beach. Go nab a great deal and you'll be sipping a margarita by the beach in no time.